My husband, Kevin, and I recently purchased our first home in Southwest Virginia (close to Virginia Tech for reference) and are in the process of adding our own personal touches to it. The house is far from old (built in 2002) but updates are certainly in order. Our projects so far have consisted of:
- Cleaning the carpets (OK, this was outsourced ;o)
- Cleaning the hardwood & tile floors
- Putting together our IKEA furniture
- Painting the upstairs master bedroom
- DIY’ing couch throw pillows
- DIY’ing my vanity
A few upcoming projects are:
- Painting the master bath
- Framing the master bath mirror
- Stenciling a wall in the master bath
- Painting the office
Of course, a long with the purchase of a home means no more “work orders” put in to maintenance. We get to deal with this too and so far we’ve had to:
- Repair the AC
- Replace the garbage disposer
- Replace a leaking faucet
- Replace a leaking water heater
- Possibly repair the motor for our jetted tub but for obvious reasons this is not high on our priority list (or at least mine…)
Exciting things, guys!! We are doing our best (when I say “we” I mean “I”) to not rush furnishing the house, choosing paint colors and throwing things up on the wall just to regret it because we are overly excited to get things checked off our list. Luckily this has only happened twice so far with minor items (I guess twice is OK for only a month & a half of living here??) which includes jumping the gun on fabric for throw pillows & not loving our kitchen curtains/hanging them too low.
Kevin didn’t love when I mentioned the curtain rod being too low 5 minutes after he hung it….needless to say it is still hanging at said too low height.
Anyways, up next will be our post on painting our bedroom together. This was quite the head scratcher at first so stay tuned!